IARIW Major Objectives
- To advance education and knowledge in the general area of income and wealth by organizing conferences, by circulating scholarly papers accessible to the general public through the Association's website, and by publishing a quarterly journal which contains research on economics and statistics.
- To carry out its said objects and purposes in the following fields of interest: the definition, measurement, and analysis of national income and wealth; the distribution of income and wealth, and poverty; the development of systems of economic and social accounting and their use for economic policy; international comparisons; and other related economic and statistical matters.
Announcements & Recent Releases
- The Executive Director posted an update of a number of issues related to the Association on September 21, 2020. Past Executive Director updates are also available.
- On October 7-9, 2021, the IARIW, in partnership with the Tanzania National Bureau of Statistics (TNBS), will be hosting a special conference on “Measuring Income, Wealth and Well-being in Africa” in Arusha, Tanzania. The objective of this special IARIW-TNBS conference will be to advance our understanding on issues related to measuring national accounts, prices, productivity, income and wealth distribution, poverty, and, economic well-being in the countries of Africa through an examination of past experiences related to the measurement of trends in these variables and the identification of future measurement challenges. View the call for papers for more details.
Persons interested in presenting a paper at the conference are invited to submit a proposal by February 28, 2021 through the IARIW-TNBS conference submission portal. Decisions on proposals will be communicated by March 31, 2021. Selected papers from the conference will be published in a supplementary issue of the Review of Income and Wealth.
- The IARIW has hosted a digital session on the System of National Accounts (SNA) Update and Related International Standards on Wednesday, August 26, 2020. The session programme can be found here. To view a recording of the full session, click here.
- The IARIW, in partnership with the UK Economics Statistics Centre of Excellence (ESCoE), is hosting a conference on the measurement of intangible investments and their implications for growth and productivity at King’s College London, June 24-25, 2021. The main aim of the conference is to bring together academics, statisticians, policymakers and other data users interested in the measurement of intangibles to take forward an agenda for understanding the importance of these rapidly growing investments. The call for papers for the conference is posted.
Persons interested in presenting a paper at the conference are invited to submit a proposal by October 31, 2020 through the IARIW-ESCoE conference submission portal. Decisions on proposals will be communicated by December 15, 2020. Selected papers from the conference will be published in a supplementary issue of the Review of Income and Wealth.
- The Executive Director posted an update of a number of issues related to the Association on July 16, 2020. Past Executive Director updates are also available.
- The IARIW Council and Statistics Norway have decided to postpone for one year the 36th IARIW General Conference scheduled for August 24-28, 2020. The conference will now be held August 16-20, 2021. The conference website is handled by Statitstics Norway and is available here. We regret this decision, but feel it is necessary given the difficulty of international travel and the importance of containing the coronavirus. The letter sent to the membership containing more information is available here. All paper-givers for this conference have the option to resubmit an edited or new paper, provided that their chosen topic remains the same. A revised programme will therefore be posted in the last quarter of 2020.
- The IARIW has co-sponsoring a session on the economics of income and wealth as part of the XXI International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development that the Moscow-based National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE) from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM on May 12, 2020 Moscow time. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the conference was held electronically. Additional information is available here. A podcast for this session is available on the XXI April Conference YouTube Channel.
- The IARIW, in partnership with the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE) held a conference on “Experiences and Challenges in Measuring Income and Wealth in Eastern Europe and CIS Countries” which took place at HSE in Moscow, Russia, September 17-18, 2019. The conference programme can be found here. The conference website can be found here.
- The IARIW, in partnership with the World Bank, held a conference on “New Approaches to Defining and Measuring Poverty in a Growing World” which took place in Washington, DC November 7-8, 2019. The conference programme can be found here. The conference website is accessible on the World Bank Site.
- The abstracts and articles from the IARIW session on "The System of National Accounts (SNA): Past Experiences and Future Challenges." at the "ISI World Statistics Congress" in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia are available. The conference took place from August 18-23, 2019.
- The articles from the 2016 issues of the Review of Income and Wealth are now available online. This website also includes a complete archive of IARIW publications from 1951 to 2016. The articles can be acccessed free of charge.
- Several website services are available:
- Online Payment of Membership Fees;
- Online Membership Application and Information Update Form.